The mission of South Baltimore Learning Center (SBLC) is to improve the self-sufficiency of educationally disadvantaged adults. SBLC is a community-based nonprofit organization providing functional literacy and life skills training, in addition to career preparation services, to residents in the Baltimore Area.
The Transition Specialist will support career pathway initiatives for learners, including college and work exposure activities. Using SBLC’s cooperative education framework, this position relies heavily upon external partnerships, workforce training partners who offer industry-recognized credentials, and employer partners willing to provider work-based experiences such as job shadowing, internships and training to learners that are exploring career options.
The Transition specialist will report to the Program Manager and work closely with Instructional teams to identify learners for work-based experiences; to co-enroll learners in integrated education and training (IET) classes and/or preparing students for post-secondary education once they obtain their high school diploma. This position will also assist with learner orientation and graduation.
- Serve as a career and college transition resource for all level of adult learners enrolled in South Baltimore Learning Center (SBLC) classes or programs.
- Coordinate the services of the American Job Centers (One-Stops) to help learners’ access career planning, as well as employability and life skills development.
- Develop relationships and partnerships will all post-secondary programs and colleges in the Baltimore area. Support learners in pre-college assessments and access.
- Advise all students on long-term goal setting and career pathway options based on local and regional occupational demands; provide resources and tools for career path exploration.
- In partnership with the Instructional Team, identify and enroll eligible ASE students in integrated education and training programs with partner Title I providers
- The specialist will process and track required data and develop a number of required reports.
- Coordinate and meet regularly with IAS/Academic Counselor and Support Specialist to discuss learner progress and/or other needs. With this team, document student goals and progress.
- With IAS/ Academic Counselor, coordinate and facilitate orientation for learners.
- Assist in the recruitment of adult learners for all SBLC programs including ABE/GED, and National External Diploma Program and Tutoring. Execute general organizational outreach plans.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND TALENTS
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills and maintain professional appearance.
- Possess career and/or academic counseling skills and experience.
- Experience with developing community resources/linkages
- High energy, outgoing, team player, and a passion for SBLC’s mission is essential.
- Working mastery of computer programs including Microsoft Word, Power Point and Excel, and familiarity with client management systems.
HOURS, COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
FLSA Status: Full-Time Non-Exempt
The successful candidate will receive a competitive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of the job, the associate is often required to read, write, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects or controls, reach with hands, and arms, talk, and hear. Specific vision abilities required for this position include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the noise level is typically moderate.
To apply, email cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please do not call.