Learner Support Specialist
The mission of South Baltimore Learning Center (SBLC) is to improve the self-sufficiency of educationally disadvantaged adults. SBLC is a community-based nonprofit organization providing functional literacy and life skills training, in addition to career preparation services, to residents in the Baltimore Area.
The Learner Support Specialist (LSS) is responsible for SBLC’s retention strategy and activities, which include the coordination of support services provided to all adult learners enrolled in SBLC academic programs (tutored learners, in-class ABE, Pre-GED, GED learners, online GED learners, NEDP clients, and SBLC alumni). The individual is responsible for implementing all wrap-around supportive services at SBLC and developing interventions that address high barrier areas that hinder learner progress. Coaching and case management for the purpose of learner progression and promotion is a primary component of this position. This position is on the Program Department team and will report to the Senior Director of Adult Education Programs.
- Coordinate partnerships services that address a range of barriers such as criminal records expungements, benefits eligibility for childcare services and child support resources, mental health screenings, and financial education and planning.
- Plan sessions or engage partners on other key barrier areas as they emerge
- Each session, conduct learner engagement and coaching sessions to address personal life needs
- Counsel learners who display issues and concerns that could be barriers to academic progress
- Coordinate with the Intake & Assessment Specialist and Transition Specialist to support learners by providing guidance and support and assistance with setting and achieving goals
- Maintain case management records on learners that have accessed additional support
- Oversee the planning and execution of learner recognition
- Make referrals to and accept referrals from other agencies as needed, and serve as SBLC’s liaison to agencies for learner support services
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, & TALENTS
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills and maintain professional appearance.
- Working with adult learners in a coaching or case management capacity
- Experience with developing community resources/linkages.
- High energy, outgoing, team player, and a passion for SBLC’s mission is essential.
- Working mastery of computer programs including Microsoft Word, Power Point and Excel, and familiarity with client management systems.
HOURS, COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- FLSA Status: Full-Time Exempt
- Hours: 40 hours
- 50K per year
- Benefits: Paid Time Off, Health, Dental, & Vision, Life Insurance, 401K
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of the job, the associate is often required to read, write, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects or controls, reach with hands, and arms, talk, and hear. Specific vision abilities required for this position include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the noise level is typically moderate.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not call.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $50,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Baltimore, MD 21230: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Case management: 5 years (Required)